Friday, July 24, 2009

A loyal friend...


This is gonna be an extremely difficult post for me to write, since I will be losing such a close friend soon. My dog, Bailey, has a tumor located at the back of his tongue and it's just a matter of time that we'll have to put him down. Bailey is almost ten, so surgery and/or chemotherapy is not really an option. Our hearts are breaking, since we know our time with him is limited. Unfortunately, I've been dealing with the guilt of not being a better friend over the past two years.

You see, Bailey lives with my mom. When I got him as a puppy ten years ago, I was living with her, so that became Bailey's home too. Unfortunately, when I moved out, I moved to an apartment that didn't accept pets. My mom was sweet enough to take care of Bailey until I moved into a place that was pet-friendly. I eventually moved into a house with a big backyard and brought Bailey to the new home. But it wasn't Bailey's "home" and he was very sad. He howled, whined, barked and dug holes in protest. So, we figured it was best to take him back to my mom's house. He was so much happier!! I would visit him often, and Kevin and I would even pick him up on some weekends to take him on road trips with us. But, when I found out I was pregnant, life got busy. Then of course baby arrived, and life got even more hectic. Poor Bailey never got a visit from us during the past few years, and now I'm feeling great regret!!

I did, however, get to see him the other day, and Dakota finally got to meet her furry brother. Oh, how they loved each other so!! Dakota was so gentle with him. Even though she stepped on his tail once or twice, Bailey didn't mind too much. He's such a sweetheart and doesn't have a mean bone in him. It was great spending a few hours with him, but also so very sad!! He doesn't seem like he's in much pain at the moment, but I know it's just a matter of time before he is. We obviously don't want him feeling any pain, so we'll have to make the "it's time" decision soon.

Anyway, here are a few things I would like to say to my puppy dog...

Bailey,

Thank you so much for being the best dog a girl could ask for. You were always such a happy dog. And did I mention how smart you are? You made me so proud when you learned and picked up tricks so quickly. I couldn't wait to show my friends the new things you learned, and of course, they were so impressed! Everyone fell in love with you when they met you. How could they not? You are the cutest, most friendliest black lab there is! And Bailey, thank you for making me laugh when you moaned while itching your back on your dog house. Where you learned that is still a mystery to us. Thank you for running with me when I trained for the police academy! I don't think I could have done it without you boy. When I felt like quitting after 2 miles, all I had to do was look down at you and see the "I've got at least 50 miles left in me" in your eyes to keep me going. Afterall, I couldn't let you show me up....lol. I give you all the credit for building up my endurance and getting me ready for the academy. And , thank you for being the kind of friend a girl needs when she goes through some very hard heartbreaks. Having you nuzzle your head in my lap as I cried was just what I needed when I felt at my lowest and loneliest. Lastly, thank you for all the memories and for being so loyal. I'm sorry I wasn't always there, but I hope you know that you are the best dog I have ever known and no dog could ever take that place.


Dakota loves her brother...


Dakota feeding her brother leaves...lol

Some of my favorites from our visit...



I just love them!!!

I love my doggy!!

5 comments:

Nichole said...

Aww, I have no idea how I missed this post :(
It's always hard lossing a family memeber-but just remember he will always be with you (and Dakota!).
(((HUGS)))
My dad still had his best-friends collar hanging on his rear-view mirror... and he passed 13 years ago :/

Summer said...

Heather, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Our pup Roger is 11 now, and he is starting to ail as well. I do not envy your position, but I think you should know you are a great mom to Dakota and Bailey!

Leslei's Mommy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Bailey. He is just beautiful and I can see how much he loves you and Dakota. All our love is with you during this hard and heart-breaking time. We love you!!!

Jamie said...

So sorry to hear about Bailey. I shouldn't have read this at work I got all teary-eyed. Din't worry about Friday we will get together soon!

Bradshaw's Buzz said...

((HUGS)) and prayers and thoughts to you!!!