Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mommy Meetup...


I finally got to meet one of my computer friends!! I know some of you are scratching your heads, wondering what the heck I'm talking about. Well, let me explain...

When I first found out I was pregnant, I was ecstatic beyond belief. Of course, I was also scared outta my mind. I'm a total Type-A personality, which means I need to be in control of things. Ya, there's not much you can control when you're pregnant, but I wanted to at least educate myself as to what to expect during those 9 months. And that's exactly what I did. I found the What To Expect (WTE) website and joined the forum, February 2008 Babies. At first, I just lurked. I would read the posts that were filled with questions and concerns similar to mine. The replies they received from the other mothers-to-be were always so helpful, and I got answers to so many of my own questions. I know for a fact that this website alone kept my anxiety at bay, and lessened my need to put my doctor on speed dial. Eventually, I started posting my own questions and found a lot of support from these ladies. Once Dakota arrived, I was on there A LOT!!! I never realized how much I would need these other moms during those first few months. I found myself full of doubt, despair, sorrow, and of course thousands of questions. Why is Dakota crying so much? Am I over-feeding her? Why is there a bump on her leg? Is this rash something I should see the doctor about? She's not gaining weight, how come she's so little? These women were always there for me and offered so many kind words of support and encouragement. I think the comfort that I felt was knowing that I was not alone with what I was going through and what I was feeling.

Eventually, as I started to figure the whole motherhood thing out, those daily visits became less frequent. Like most of the other "original" February mommies, it's no longer a place that I visit. Fortunately, most of those moms are Facebook friends and we still chat on a daily basis. I was just told the other day that a meetup is scheduled for June 2010 in Washington D.C. I'm so excited, and I really hope to make it. It would be amazing to meet these wonderful moms that I feel I have a deep connection with. It may sounds silly, but it's so true!

Anyway, there I go on one of my long tangents again, but the whole point of this post was to tell you about my meetup with a WTE mommy and her February 2008 tot, Nathan. Of course, I knew she was gonna be a super cool mom before I even met her. Afterall, her name is Heather. Haha! Meeting her in person was awesome, and she was even sweeter and more genuine than I imagined. And her husband, Chris, is an amazing dad. I was in awe at how attentive and loving he was towards their two kids.

We met up at the Long Beach Aquarium and had a great time. Here are some pictures from our day...

First off, Dakota LOVED Nathan...

The fish tank was a huge hit. Here's the three of them together...

Dakota LOVED the birds...

It was so cute to watch them talk to each other, even though we didn't understand a word they were saying...lol

The seals were also a favorite...

We got there just in time to see the turtle go up for air...

They were trying SO hard to touch the sharks...

I LOVE this picture. Heather was so sweet with Dakota...

What a fabulous day with 2 awesome people and their adorable kids!! Thank you Heather!

4 comments:

Lisa Renz Leeb said...

D.C. baby!!!!! Be there or be square!!! LOL

Bradshaw's Buzz said...

WOW didn't know y'all met up! How Cool!! Great photos

Nichole said...

That is so very cool...and love the point of interest! LBA is a great place for tots! I am so jealous.

The Kuhns said...

Ok so since I knew nothing about blogspot back when we met up, I went searching lol I had such a good time meeting you and Dakota, wish Kevin couldve been there too! I hope this summer we will get to mee up again =)