Friday, September 4, 2009

Intervention..

Photobucket

That's right, we're helping Dakota kick the habit!! I told Dakota from the very beginning that she gets 18 long months with her binkies, and then it's Adios, Au revoir, Ciao, Shalom, Hasta la vista, Sayonara, buh-bye...ok, you get the picture. So far she has been receptive to our intervention. Of course, we don't do anything cold turkey in this house. I just don't think it's necessary, and frankly find it counter-productive in Dakota's case!

So, we decided to do away with the "binky basket," which was located downstairs, under the coffee table. She obviously knows where this basket is and has always been free to plop one in her mouth as she pleased. So the other day, I fished out all the binkies and put them in a ziploc bag. The bag may be a bit deceiving, but just know that's not some dinky sandwhich bag...it's a freezer bag!! LOL. Ya, we had lots of binkies. I guess we did a pretty good job at not losing too many because it has been at least 6 months since we've bought any.. Anyway, she's still allowed to have a binky when she takes a nap and goes to bed at night, but that's it. Once she leaves her crib, the binky must stay behind. So far, so good!! I figure, I'll give this routine a week. Then I'll take her binky away at nap time and do that for a week. Then finally, I'll take them away all together. Hopefully it's a smooth transition. I've been lucky with other transitions, so I'm fairly optimistic. We'll see. Anyway, here are some cute pictures of Dakota with her binky over the past year and a half. I love how she used to insist on sucking on it upside down, and yes, even inside out. You'll see what I mean when you look through the pictures...

2 comments:

Nichole said...

Awww, mom, now that is just mean! Kidding...that is one large bag of binkies! We are trying to do the same thing...we have limited Isabella's paci to sleeping times. It's only been about a week- but I think I am the problem here! Love the pictures. I never really noticed how many pic's we have with the paci in the mouth until recently. It's disturbing! But it's soothing :'(

Bradshaw's Buzz said...

Good Luck! Keep us updated!!! We've been fortunate that Austin has hated the paci's from day 1 :-)