Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bye Bye Gymboree...

Photobucket

Hello Preschool...

Photobucket

I can't tell you how hard it was to walk into Gymboree a few weeks ago and cancel our membership. I actually cried! I think it was hard for me because it made me face the realization that my baby is growing up. You see, Gymboree was the very first "Mommy & Me" class I ever did with Dakota. I can still remember her very first Gymboree class like it was yesterday. She was only 6 months old, and barely knew how to crawl. We sat down on the mat not knowing what to expect, but just as soon as the teacher started to sing, Dakota let out the loudest shrills I had ever heard. All the other moms burst out laughing, and the teacher replied with, "Well someone's happy to be here." That's when I knew that Gymboree was for Dakota!

These past 18 months have taught Dakota so much! She really got a lot out of the classes, and I am so thankful and happy Dakota enjoyed it as much as she did. And if it wasn't for Gymboree, I wouldn't have met three of my most favorite mommies, Drew, Kathy and Julie. Knowing that I still have their friendship made it a little easier to quit, and Dakota has found her lifelong BFFs who she still hangs out with at least three or four times a month. I was telling Drew and Kathy a few weeks ago that I really hope they always stay good friends. Even if they grow up to be completely different people, I hope their history will always keep them close! Afterall, how many people can say they've known their friend since they were 6 months old??

Anyway, back on track with this post. You're probably wondering why we said goodbye to Gymboree. Well, I happened to hear about a free pre-preschool class through my friend Kathy. Yep, the same Kathy from Gymboree. I was so ecstatic to find out the local college offers a free class for toddlers. Turns out it's a class that requires parent participation, which is kinda neat. So, after many frustating hours of trying to figure out the whole registration process, Dakota was registered!

But wait, it gets better! Brayden is actually in the same class as Dakota. Unfortunately, Kylan isn't doing this session. His mom, Kathy, is a little preoccupied with his new baby sister, but she's hoping to join the fun in April.

As for the actual class...it's AWESOME!! It's all I hoped it would be, and more! It was a little unorganized, but the instructor assured us it was because it was the first day. That's understandable, and it seems like most first days are like that with any kind of class. There were 25 kids in the class, and I guess there's a wait list of 20 people. So apparently it's very popular!

I could tell Dakota really liked the class. There is so much for them to do and I was amazed at all that was offered, including activity tables and LOTS of toys. The teacher brought the kids together a couple of times to sing songs and read books. Dakota did relatively well sitting and listening, but I could tell she wanted to beeline it for the play kitchen. Anyway, I'll stop with the rambling. Here are the pictures from her very first day of preschool...

Mommy snappin' a few pictures before we head off to school...
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Waiting for class to start...
Photobucket Photobucket

All the kids running around like goofballs...
Photobucket Photobucket

Once inside, Dakota bee-lined it for the toys...
"Oh, hi Mommy, you're still here?!?!"
Photobucket Photobucket

Dakota LOVES to color...
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

Playing some more...
Photobucket

Lunchtime!!! I was amazed at how well she did by herself...
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

Enjoying a little storytime!
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

And lastly, can't forget about getting your hand stamped!!
This was also a Gymboree favorite. When I told her it was a stamp, she sat down. LOL
Photobucket Photobucket

1 comments:

Bradshaw's Buzz said...

I love the Gymboree picture and the 1st Preschool picture. What a transformation :'( They are growing up but it's exciting to see the people they are becoming

As for the unorganized class. I was 'turned off' at Austin's 1st preschool class especially at pick up time trying to find his shoes, blanket, backpack, lunchbox, folder plus the teacher looking for the other kids. But let me say after a week it was all settled and SO easy. Takes time to work out the kinks ;) Good luck and I can't wait to hear how her Preschool experience is