Friday, March 5, 2010

Sushi...

Most people I know cringe at the thought of eating raw fish. Those who know me, know that I LOOOOOVE it! My dad turned me onto it when I was about 13 yrs old and I've been hooked ever since. I'm not a picky eater by any means, and I'll try anything once. Fortunately, I haven't found many things that I don't like. Except peas and cooked carrots. BARF!

When Dakota started eating solids she seemed to like most things we gave her. Sure, she went through phases of sticking her nose up to certain foods, but she'd eventually eat it and usually like it. Now that she's T-W-O, she's one of the pickiest kids I know. It's actually quite frustrating. I'm starting to think the stork dropped off the wrong kid. But then I remind myself that that's not possible, because Dakota LOVES sushi. Therefore, she must be my child!

I can't describe how much this kid loves the stuff. She wigs out at the site of it, and will literally lean out of her highchair with her mouth wide open, saying, "bite, bite!" Her favorites are the California Roll, Salmon, and scallops. She'll eat everything, but those are her favorites!

Sushi has now become our fallback food for Dakota. When she goes through one of her infamous food strikes, all we need to do is order her a California roll and we'll have an eating machine! I swear it's like the girl instantly grows a second stomach and just mentioning the word sushi sends her into a mad dash for the dining room table. When we were out for sushi with Grandpa, we actually had to stop her from eating anymore because she had already devoured the equivalent of eight rolls. The girl looked like a pot belly pig.

All I have to say about my little sushi lover is that I couldn't be more proud. To have such a picky eater actually love sushi baffles me, but you'll never hear me complain. Fish is one of the healthiest things one could eat! And for those of you concerned about the mercury content, there's no need to worry! The fish that have the highest amounts of mercury (shark, swordfish, mackerel and tilefish) are ones that I haven't even tried. Our favorites (salmon, shrimp and tuna) actually have the least amount. And of course, we always go to restaurants that we know handles and prepares fish correctly, and that are popular and have high turnover!

Mmmmmmmmm!!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

8 comments:

Bradshaw's Buzz said...

This post makes me green :sick: LOL But yea for liking fish and sushi.

:p

Heather said...

LOL Tanya, I know you're not a huge fan!! Has Scott ever tried to get you to like/eat it??

Springmoon said...

How funny! She loves sushi? I haven't tried with Gabs yet, but I think I will...

Heather said...

Joanne, do it!! I bet she'd love it. =)

Bradshaw's Buzz said...

The only thing I've eaten is Cold Smoked Salmon and it's good but I don't think I can handle anything else. Texture issues. . . slivers down my throat LOL

Heather said...

LMAO Tanya!! The texture thing is a hard one to get over!! I remember having escargot and I nearly barfed because I couldn't get over the "idea" that I was eating garden snails. But the taste wasn't bad at all. I was twelve. lol

got mercury said...

According to the FDA, tuna actually has high amount of mercury. Might want to check out www.gotmercury.org for more information.

Heather said...

If you eat high amounts of it e-v-e-r-y single day. We eat it about once or twice a month. I'm pretty certain we'll be okay ;). Especially considering we have about one order (slice of it) every time we go. Thanks for your concern tho ;). Especially consiering you're "anonymous."